Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 18:22:26 -0500
From:      David Syphers <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
To:        webmaster@forsetti.com, Helge Oldach <helge.oldach@atosorigin.com>
Cc:        Mike Jakubik <mikej@trigger.net>, fred@condo.chico.ca.us, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd vs ports sshd

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 05:00 pm, Matt Smith wrote:
> Perhaps there are better ways, but here is a "simple" solution to the
> issue of "apps in the base system" vs. "apps from ports":
>
> Install these apps (ssh, sendmail, etc) in the base system as packages.
>   In other words, a basic install would still install these components,
> but they would be installed in /usr/local/, and would be registered with
> the pkg db, so they can easily be removed, maintained, upgraded, etc.
>
> Also, this may allow for 2 new installation options: "Functional Base"
> and "Minimal Base", with the only difference being the inclusion of a
> default set of packages in the "Functional Base".

I think the difficulty with this is that some of the programs are tied into
the base system.  If upgrading Sendmail or gcc really was as easy as
installing the port, I think Gregory Shapiro and David O'Brien would have a
lot more free time  :)

So it's a nice concept, but not possible to implement right now (or it would
have been done already).  But this is my own rather limited understanding of
the situation...

-David

--
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand...

Astronomy and Astrophysics Center
The University of Chicago