Date:      Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:17:33 -0500
From:      "John Doe" <aihlmot@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        aihlmot@hotmail.com
Subject:   ed1: Ethernet address aa:aa:aa:aa:aa?

I just cvsupped "src-all" from 5.1 and built and installed world and GENERIC
using the tag RELENG_5_3.  I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 (a laptop) with a
Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card.

With 5.1, I would insert the EtherFast card, and type "dhclient -r ed1" as
root and everything would work.  Now, when I insert the card, I get the
following on the console:

ed1: <Linksys EtherFast 10/100 PC Card (PCMPC100)> at port 0x100-0x11f irq
11 function 0 config 16 pccard1
ed1: [GIANT_LOCKED]
ed1: Ethernet address aa:aa:aa:aa:aa
ed1: if_start running deferred for Giant
type NE1000 (8 bit)

When I now type "dhclient -r ed1", nothing happens for several minutes. and
then I get the prompt back.  ifconfig reveals an IP address of 0,0,0,0, a
netmask of 255.255.255.255, and an Ethernet address of aa:aa:aa:aa:aa.
Something seems wrong, and I don't know what to do next.  Google results
have not been helpful.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Peter