Date:      Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:43:48 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Trish Lynch <trish@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.0 RC3 now available

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Trish Lynch wrote:

> I just want to point out, POLA really only applies to -STABLE, and we're
> talking very specifically about -CURRENT.
>
> IN -CURRENT, substantial changes can be made with little warning, and only
> documentation sometimes (most of the time, people give a ***HEADS UP!***
> email on this list).
>
> However don;t assume because something is one way in the 4.x branch that
> it will be the same in 5.x. If this were the case, we'd have very little
> progress.
>
> -Trish

This makes sense, and I can live with it. I guess I'll have to 'forget'
how FreeBSD has always done things in the past and relearn...

Lots of things are very different - just this morning, I found out there
is no 'visual configure'. Only took an hour to figure out why GENERIC was
not finding the Adaptec 1542CF scsi card...

While I'm here, dc(4) is still telling me its ethernet address is
00:00:00:00:00:00 and that there is 'no carrier'. It works fine otherwise.

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator