Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 15:06:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCSI tape drive problem in -current

Hardware: 120 MH Pentium, 32 MB RAM, BT946C controller, 2 Seagate
Barracudas, Archive Viper tape drive, ASUS motherboard.

I recently loaded -current on my home machine, which I had been using to
track -stable.  Before upgrading, I backed up every partition that had
anything I wanted to save on it's own tape, using tar.  The installation
(from the 960801-SNAP CD) went very smoothly; I told sysinstall to newfs /,
/usr, and /var, and to leave the other partitions alone.

I then tried to reload some stuff from my /usr backup (Infocom games, as it
happens) -- no luck.  The tape positions itself when I put it in, but when
I run "tar -tvf /dev/rst0", the light on the tape drive comes on for a
fraction of a second, and that's it -- I get my prompt back.  There are no
error messages anywhere; tar doesn't complain, there's nothing on the
console, and nothing new under /var/log.

I tried running a new backup; I could create it and re-read it without any
trouble.

I also did a "make bootstrap; make world" last night, with ctm updates
through about noon EST yesterday (Sep 8); it didn't make any difference.

I brought the (-stable) /usr backup to work with me this morning, and found
to my joy that a machine in the office running 960501-SNAP with an Archive
Anaconda tape drive can read it without any trouble.

The tapes are Maxell DC-6525s.

Comments?  This is potentially a major problem, and I'm willing to help
track it down, with a few pointers from those more experienced....
--
Rich Kuhns			rjk@grauel.com
PO Box 6249			Tel: (317)477-6000 \