Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:39:23 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Gregory Edigarov <greg@profi.kharkov.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Squid, FreeBSD, Multilink PPP

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:43:14 +0300, Gregory Edigarov <greg@profi.kharkov.ua> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have Squid-2.5 running on FreeBSD 5-Current. We have 2 ppp links,
> and use them in multilink mode, through userlevel ppp.
> If one or both links fail and then come up, say, if I just turn the
> modem power off and on all the  web browsing becomes very slow
> squid.
> It takes forever for squid to show a page which, in a normal
> conditions, would take only a few seconds. Pings to those sites I am
> trying to open are just fine.
> Taking squid down and then up have no effect. The only thing help is
> rebooting
> the whole system.
>
> Is there anything I can do?

How does ppp deal with the link loss - does it notice immediately ?  I
would expect very little latency if it does as it should be able to just
trash the existing queued data and continue using the other link.

I guess other connections suffer the same problems -- it's not just squid ?

It might be interesting doing a ``show mp'' or ``show bundle'' to determine
what sort of packet queuing and reassembly is happening after the link is
lost.

If the queues are large, you might get slightly better performance by
reducing the links mtu (set mtu max), but really, things should recover
ok even with a ~1500 MTU.

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>