Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:55:44 -0800
From:      Bill Campbell <freebsd@celestial.com>
To:        freebsd@celestial.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Managing Maildirs

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003, Eric Anderson wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>>Number one above will do the trick and is far more efficient than using the
>>``find ...-exec'', although you might want to modify it to only nuke mail
>>over a certain age.  To nuke all trash over 30 days old:
>>
>>	find /home/*/Maildir/.Trash -type f -mtime +30 | xargs rm
>>

>On a totally unrelated note,  I'm thinking about switching from mbox
>formatted mailboxes using imap, to a more robust and faster imap server
>that uses maildirs.  My problem is, I have pop users, imap users, and
>elm/mutt/pine users on the same box.  Does elm/mutt/pine work ok with
>maildirs?  What about sendmail?  What should I be looking out for?

We made that same switch a couple of years ago at a customer's with about
500 very active mail accounts.  I had to write a perl script to extract
mail in U.W. IMAP's proprietary MBX format to Maildir, but that was the
only thing at all difficult.

I use mutt with Maildir boxes directly, and found much to my surprise that
it defaulted to a secure connection to our courier-imap server when I asked
for an IMAP connection.  Pine should be no problem as it was probably the
first MUA to use IMAP, being developed in the same group at the University
of Washington where Mark Crispin is the IMAP guru.  I wouldn't know about
Elm since I haven't used it since switching to mutt many years ago.  I
would be surprised if it deals with Maildir boxes directly.

I can't address sendmail since I have never used it, and probably never
will (at least not unless it's under duress).  Postfix can deliver to
Maildir boxes.  Our setup doesn't use the MTA to store mail directly, but
we use deliver with a perl module handling the Maildir boxes after scanning
and classifying the mail.  Deliver is used much the same way as procmail
using pipes.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``The man who produces while others dispose of his product is a slave.''
   Ayn Rand