Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 00:29:53 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        Paul Jansen <vlaero@yahoo.com.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: running from CD?

Paul Jansen (vlaero@yahoo.com.au) wrote:

> I know that there are some Linux distos that allow you
> to do this - anyway enough of that :)
>
> Is it possible to run freebsd without a hard drive
> instead accessing the required files off CDROM?  I can
> already boot machines diskless but there will be know
> other machine on the network to be able to provide
> files.  I've got PicoBSD up and running but it's lack
> of support for various cards is a problem for me.  I
> also wouldn;t mind being able to run apache and samba
> from a CD.
> I suppose you could use a write protected floppy to
> provide machine specific setting.  Temp directories
> and things could be mapped out to MFS like they are in
> the diskless config.
> Can this be done?  Has it been done?

It certainly can be done. My copy of Greg Lehey's The Complete FreeBSD
came with a 'live filesystem' bootable CD.

You can get a lot of stuff onto a 700MB CD. I had once contemplated
building a diskless firewall/gateway by burning such a bootable disk.
It shouldn't be that hard to do.

Having a read-only filesystem would certainly prevent undesirable-types
from crashing your disks.

--
Christopher Farley
www.northernbrewer.com