Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:15:35 +0200
From:      Jens Schweikhardt <schweikh@schweikhardt.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM and NetBSD partitions/disklabels

Poul-Henning et al,

recently I've tried installing NetBSD on a new disk. I'm not sure if the
following is a coincidence (because it never worked before, even without
GEOM) or is due to GEOM issues. My -current is from Oct 12 and the kernel
derived from GENERIC, plus/minus devices/options to match my hardware.

NetBSD uses sysid 169 for their slice and a new style disklabel with 16
partitions. FreeBSD is unable to deal with that disklabel, it seems.

# fdisk da4
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 169 (0xa9),(NetBSD)
    start 39841200, size 16771860 (8189 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 1022/ head 254/ sector 63;
        end: cyl 1022/ head 254/ sector 63

# disklabel da4s2
disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument

Am I trying something that is not supported? If yes, are there any
plans to support our brother BSD's disklabels?

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/