Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:06:04 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: can't make certain ports

On 1/18/00, 4:17:53 PM, Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu> wrote
regarding Re: can't make certain ports:

> Hi Jonathon,

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> > Brett wrote:
> > >Nope - as noted above - make deinstall calls pkg_delete which reads=

off
> > >its OWN original packing list, not what's in
> > >/usr/ports/some_dir/some_port/pkg/PLIST.
> >
> > What was my mistake here?  Referring to the makefile rather than the=

> > packing list as the source for the action taken?

> No mistake on your part - I didn't read bsd.port.mk (or let it sink
> through my head enough) - a make deinstall looks for ${PKGNAME} which
it
> grabs from the port Makefile so it will try to deinstall the old
version
> (using pkg_delete).

> Brett
> Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
> Dept of Chem and Physics                          *
> Curie 39A     (540) 831-6147                      *
> Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics               *
> Walker 234    (540) 831-5410                      *

Dear Brett Taylor and Jonathon McKitrick,

just to split hairs:

make deinstall ~ pkg_delete -f port_package(s)_listed_in_the_PLIST

where " ~ " reads "equivalent to".

In a freshly updated port, the package(s) in question is(are) the=20
*new*
package(s) - not yet made.

If all this is correct, it should (?) go into the docs. AFAIR, I have=20
not
found this little piece of information (yet).

But I have an awful lot to read, so I might be wrong.=20
I know I do NOT know (Socrates) :-))

Perhaps it is also in Grog's Guide 3rd edition ?
I haven't found this book in Sicily yet.=20

Best regards,
Salvo
_