Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 17:37:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is root's crontab different?

On Sun, 3 Jan 1999, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     The original cron program had *only* /etc/crontab.  The support for it
>     is a backwards compatibility throwback that we really don't need any
>     more.

Right. It's not used at all under NetBSD.

>     I suppose
>     /etc/crontab might have some limited usefullness running cron jobs for
>     special users that do not have real shells installed for their password
>     entry....

You should be able to do the same with per-user crontabs by setting
SHELL=/bin/sh at the beginning of the crontab.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org