Date:      Thu, 19 Jan 2006 14:10:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Se=E1n_C=2E_Farley?= <sean-freebsd@farley.org>
To:        "Michael C. Shultz" <ringworm01@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old perl-based script to manage ports

--0-444813457-1137701447=:78765

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Thursday 19 January 2006 10:05, Se=E1n C. Farley wrote:

>>> Can you show where you posted this prior to 2004-04-20 with a
>>> copyright notice? A reference from archive.org (wayback machine) for
>>> example.  If you have proof I will change the name of portmanager to
>>> avoid infringing on your copyright and if you don't I insist you
>>> stop infinging on mine.
>>
>> Neither of us are infringing on each others' copyrights since we are
>> not copying each others source.  Trademarks are what you are thinking
>> about, and we (at least I) do not have these.
>>
>>> See https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=3D107280
>>> for the first official portmanager posting dated 2004-04-20.
>>
>> I first made mention of it on August 24, 2004[1].  We are both
>> eclipsed by the Darwin PortsManager[2].
>>
>> Se=E1n
>>    1. http://bsdnews.com/view_story.php3?story_id=3D4694
>>    2. http://www.opendarwin.org/pipermail/darwinports/2003-March/016245.=
html

> Here is your comment from reference #1:Friday, August 27 2004
>
> =09* * *
>
> "I have been noticing that port utilities have been popping out of the
> woodwork. In sysutils/, I have noticed portmanager and portsman show up
> somewhat recently.
> Personally, I have been writing a semi-clone of portupgrade in Perl."
>
> =09* * *
>
> Clearly you knew about portmanager in FreeBSD ports and still claim it
> as your own on your website?  Portmanager is free software that I
> wrote so I am not in a financial bind over your theft of its title, so
> you don't have to worry about being sued. I will point out to anyone
> who is interested your lack of ethics in trying to take credit for
> someone else's work.

I do NOT claim to own anything but the tool I wrote starting in early
2004.  I believe I started coding it in February of that year.  I
just happened to call it Port Manager before I knew about your
implementation.

As for taking credit for someone else's work, where did you get that
idea?  Did I state that I wrote your code anywhere?  Did I take your
code and change the author's name on it?

> As for your second reference, Darwin port's portmanager is not written
> for FreeBSD nor has it anything to do with FreeBSD so far as I know.
> There have been zero complaints raised by anyone having anything to do
> with Darwin ports but if they had the name first and were using it
> publically and feel my use of the name is an infringement I would
> gladly change to something else because I would be ashamed to take
> credit for someone else's work.  I see by your website you have no
> such standards and are perfectly willing to take credit for someone
> else's work: reference this specifically on your site:
>
> FreeBSD Port Manager
>
>    * pm.pl v0.2 (Last updated: 2006/01/18)

Stop using the word infringement.  I did not infringe your rights nor
trademarks.  I see it as a collision of names.  My previous e-mail was
mainly to correct your view of copyright in this regard.

I did write a Perl-based port manager, therefore, the credit for this
particular tool is mine.  Do you think that GNU's version of grep should
be renamed since it was not the first tool to be called that?

If you want name protection, you will need to get a trademark.  Since I
am a nice person, I will not dispute it if you do.

> To anyone who cares, Port Manager for FreeBSD listed at
> http://www.farley.org/?page=3Dsoftware#pm has no conection what so ever
> with portmanager found in FreeBSD ports under sysutils/portmanager.
> Why someone would choose to steal the name of another person't
> software project is beyond me, but for some reason Mr. Farley here
> thinks it is an acceptable practice, I do not.

If you had asked nicely instead of legal-like, I would probably have
changed the name fairly quickly without complaint.  My web site calls it
FreeBSD Port Manager.  I will just make that its official name.  Now,
they have different names.  Happy?

Also, be careful about making accusations about me stealing project
names and having no ethics.  This is treading on libel.

Se=E1n
--=20
sean-freebsd@farley.org
--0-444813457-1137701447=:78765--