Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 1995 15:06:40 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        gryphon@healer.com, patl@asimov.volant.org, terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 1995 07:54:45 -0700
To: gryphon@healer.com, terry@lambert.org
Cc: hackers@freebsd.org, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, peter@taronga.com

From: patl@asimov.volant.org
> I think I missed some of the details of the Makefile proposal.  How
> does a package install it's make dependancies?  Does it add lines to
> the makefile, or is the makefile dynamically generated by concatenating
> a bunch of small per-service make fragments?

The makefile is generated by "makerc" (conceptually similar to "makewhatis").

> If it adds lines to the makefile, it still suffers from the auto-edit
> safty concerns that the straight control file scheme does.  (Although
> it does eliminate the concerns about getting the order right.)

No files are edited by packages. The packages/ports put control information
into /etc/packages and /etc/init.d (for dependencies and scripts respectively).

The sysadmin then runs "makerc" to regenerate the startup Makefile.

If it includes a bunch of small fragments, that seems like an unnecessary
extra complication.

> And I think that either the file-name-ordering or straight-control-file
> scheme would make it easier to quickly review which services are started
> in what order than any make-based scheme.  (But I'm willing to be convinced
> otherwise.)

Actually, the Makefile scheme lists dependencies on the single line
that applies to each run-level. Thus (rough example) something like:

	level-3: mount-local start-nfs mount-nfs clean-locks clean-tmp ...

	mount-local:
		mount -t nonfs -a

	start-nfs: mountd nfsiod nfsd pcnfsd

and so forth. ( The names have been changed to protect the unwritten :-)

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...