Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 14:43:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, dcs@newsguy.com, atabraga@iqm.unicamp.br
Subject:   Re: JFS

As I recall, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> I do know.  The main reason why LFS was never updated isn't that it
> was made obsolete by softupdates, as claimed above, but that it was
> made obsolete by JFS.  Why work on LFS if it is not up to a JFS?
> Unfortunately, the people who have to suffer enourmous waits after
> crashes usually have way more to do, even if they have the skills to
> fix LFS.

To shove this discussion a bit sideways, SGI announced a while back
that they were going to release the source code to their Journaled
File System.  Does anyone here know that status of that?  Wouldn't
that be the perfect starting place for a FreeBSD JFS?  Do we know
what their license will look like?

	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net