Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:51:30 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Ralf Mardorf" <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD quest <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dependencies after port tree update

On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:37:43 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Do the following directories have to be "more" empty?
>
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/bin
> total 0
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/sbin
> total 0
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/lib
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel   512B Jan 18 16:17 X11
> -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel   2.2k Jan 14 19:30 charset.alias
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   3.0k Jan 18 16:19 compat
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   1.0k Jan 18 16:10 dssi
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/lib/dssi
> total 0
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/lib/compat
> total 0
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /usr/local/lib/X11
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel   512B Jan 18 16:14 app-defaults
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel   512B Jan 18 16:14 fonts
> root@freebsd:/root # ls -hAl /var/db/pkg
> total 9424
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   9.2M Dec 23 22:42 pkgdb.db

If you have copied everything you might need from /usr/local
(e. g. config files in /usr/local/etc) you can remove the
whole directory subtree and recreate it using mtree (from
the /etc/mtree/BSD.local.dist description).

> I wonder how to set a variable to automatically "answer" ok.
> In this case it might be interesting to check all configurations.

There is an option for this: portmaster --force-config lets you
visit all configuration screens prior to starting any builds
(so they will run without any disturbing interaction), and
portmaster -G to prevent the "make config" step; there are
also the -y and -n options to answer yes or no respectively;
with --no-confirm you can accept the list of ports to process
without confirmation.

> If I finished this step, will then automatically everything be recompiled
> and reinstalled?

I think so. The example in the manual seems to work on most
conditions, and personally I didn't have trouble with using
it. In some cases, deleting the installed applications isn't
even needed: portmaster can fix things as it processes only
those parts that need to be compiled (for example due to a
newer or missing library dependency); the "portmaster -arf"
command should do this, if I remember correctly.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany