Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2002 20:41:54 +0300
From:      "Janne Mattila" <jannemat@saunalahti.fi>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Slow network: FreeBSD 4.6,  Linksys LNE100TX NIC and 3Com 3C905C-TX

Hello all! This is my first post. :)

I just installed FreeBSD 4.6 as gateway/router and my workstation
(Win2000) is having very poor transfer rates. Especially download rate,
which is about 2kB/s sec. (Yes, 100Mb LAN and 2kB/s). My girlfriend
workstation (Win2000) with Kingston KNE100TX NIC is OK (5-10MB/s upload
and 3-9Mb/s download, ProFTPd). Our hub is CentreCOM MR912TX.

I also have very poor download speed from Internet and I think it is
related to FreeBSD, since it is router and all my data is coming through
it.

FreeBSD box itself has two (2) 3Com 3c905C-TX Fast Etherlink XL cards.

I heard also FreeBSD is having problems with 3Com 3c905C-TX cards? Slow?

Here is so far what I've tried.

FreeBSD side; tried changing 100BaseTX to 100BaseTX fullduplex, tried
other cables. Win2000 side; tried re-installing and other drives, tried
10mb, 100mb, full and halfduplex. No go.

Any suggestions and/OR help is appreciated!

- JM