Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:07:05 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Printing to network printers . . .

Hey folks.  I'm sure someone has this one solved, so I've decided to
ask it here before putting another week of effort and confusion.

I'm trying to get FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE to print to an HP laserjet
4050tn printer.  The printer is networked with its own spooling card
(Jetdirect or some such thing).

I Have the following in my /etc/printcap:
lp|laserjet:\
        :rm=209.58.140.26:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :lp=:rp=raw:

and I'm able to print postscript (finally) except it scales to 2 pages
per sheet - great when you're just trying to scan code out in the
hammock, but not when you're printing your vacation request.

Anyway, trying to print text just gives me a blank page with '----'
across the top, and a basic burst page with User, Host, Class, and
Job.

In my /var/spool/lpd/lp directory, I have the following:
# ls /var/spool/lpd/lp
.seq    lock    status

No filters are being used at this point, because everytime I try, I
get something like this:
lprps[40758]: ioctl(TIOCFLUSH): Inappropriate ioctl for device

Anyone else have better luck with this?
TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Enzymes are things invented by biologists that explain things which
otherwise require harder thinking.
    -- Jerome Lettvin