Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:25:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Alan Morrison <dmorison@phenry.ssd.k12.wa.us>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installing 2.1.0

I recently purchased the Walnut Creek Distribution of FreeBSD v2.1.0 and
found that my cdrom drive is currently unsupported. So, faithfully I
decided to install the essentials by floppy for the time being; but during
the install for some reason, I was not prompted for the COMPAT1X and
COMPAT20 dists (even though they were marked for the install).  Luckily
the install went through anyways.  So afterwards I mounted the COMPAT1X on
fd0 and took a look at "install.sh".  I took the line with the tar command
and used it to extract the files manually.  MY QUESTION IS, the tar
program took about 2-3 seconds to unpack the files; if I copied the line
from "install.sh" exactly, do you think I successfully installed the
files?  (I'm running on a pentium 100 with 16 megs edo dram and a 512KB
pipeline burst cache, so I'm not sure if it could have unpacked the files
THAT fast or not.) What could I do to check this?  And if I reenter the
/stand/sysinstall program, how can I continue the install of other files
without "fdisking" my existing setup?  Also, should my cdrom drive stay
unsupported, what would be the best way to get EVERYTHING installed?  (No
way am I copying both cds to floppy!:)
                                              Thanks a lot
                                          dmorison@phenry.ssd.k12.wa.us