Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:00:54 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how do i translate non-ascii chars???

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 11:54:49PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 20 February 2005 10:51 pm, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Guys,
> >
> > 	I've got sseveral HTML files with O-aigu and O-grave and
> > 	others (these files were composed on  a Mac. Rather than
> > 	display as ['] (apostrophes) or backticks, they are rendered
> > 	in full 8859-1.
> >
> > 	How to I translate these > 128 range characters?  I'm
> > 	wedged.
>
> When people do this, they are supposed to use the &aacute;, &agrave;,
> and etc. Then, their browser does the correct display on their OS.

	I didn't explain myself very well, sorry.  Befow is a line
	from od -c on the index.html file.  I'm not sure how this
	will be rendered in the different mailers, but in mutt with
	nvi, the "B" is surrounded by two iso8859-1 characters.
	In mozilla, same way.  It is meant to be `B'.  I've got over
	28 files with what should be apostrophes and bcktcks rendered
	this way. putchar() outputs these characters in 8859 form
	--as characters. printf("0%o", ch); gives me their octal
	values.   But trying to catch them with getchar() and it
	fails.  gcc says that '\0325' is a dounle-wide.

	Maybe "od -c" is seeing this file as 16-bit characters...

 r   h   y   m   i   n   g       Ô   B   Õ       w   o   r   d

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix