Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 00:28:00 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone know how to dim and SGI flat panel?

> :I'd bet it's done using DPMS.  See if the XFree86 4.x code can tell you
> :anything about the monitor's capabilities.
>
>     It's up?  Very cool, they actually put the prerelease up 2 days ago!
>     47MB download, yummy!  DGA is going to be sooooo cool.
>
>     Unfortunately it looks like the DPMS stuff is still a bit primitive.
>     Shoot.  I'll check it out, though.  The 3.3.3 I128 driver (that's
>     the number 9 card) does not appear to support DPMS at all.
>
>     SGI's site has a whitepaper on the flatpanel but it's a bit spare on
>     control protocols.  They do say something about an I2C bus but I dunno
>     whether that is what DPMS uses or not.

That is how I believe that DMPS communications are transported to the
display.  Unfortunately, the DPMS specification is a VESA-proprietary
document so you will have to either join the XFree86 project or sponsor
FreeBSD as a VESA member (that would be nice 8).

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org