Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:18:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Gravis UltraSound PnP Problems

I am unable to get the Gravis UltraSound PnP card
to function properly.  The motherboard doesn't
support PnP AFAIK but the card can be configured
in the kernel config file on non-PnP hosts.

I am running a version 2.2-RELEASE kernel
and configured the gus card in the kernel config
file as:

device gus0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 11 drq 1 flgs 0x3 vector gusintr

When I tried to receive Mbone audio broadcasts, the
sound card made a constant, metronome-like clicking
sound.  tcpdump showed multicast packets coming over
the wire, yet the VAT application didn't indicate
reception of the audio stream.  Funny thing though,
when I play a cd the sound card works fine.

This PC is to be used in the CAIRN project whose web
page (www.cairn.net) provides recommended hardware
components. There is a section (FreeBSD VAT Tips)
on their page (www.cairn.net/mtoolbeta.html) that
recommends a PROM burn to disable all but one of the
irqs on the soundcard.

As per their instructions I changed the soundcard
definitions in the kernel config file as:

device gus0 at isa? vector gusintr

With this new setting the kernel cannot find the
sound card.

Going back to the original device definition and
trying different configurations of the irq, drq and
flag settings yields the same results: cd plays
fine, incoming Mbone audio produces clicks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
George Uhl