Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:51:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      <mike@bcinternet.com>
Subject:   make world

	I'm fairly new to FreeBSD and have a few questions about 'make
world'.  First of all the release of FreeBSD I installed was
2.2-970225-GAMMA.  I wanted to upgrade this machine to 2.2.2-RELEASE so I
fired up sysinstall, changed the release to 2.2.2-RELEASE under options,
chose custom-all sources under distributions, and the set it to merrily
download all the source for the latest release.

	Now what I wondering is.....
1.  Will 'make world' clobber my existing config files?
2.  Will it install *ALL* the binaries or just the ones I had installed
	before.
3.  If it just installs the binaries I had before, how and where are these
	recorded?  (curiosity's sake I'm from the Debian world)
4.  This machine is currently a router for my network and cannot go down
	for any length of time, will 'make world' stop/kill/fubar it?
5.  Is this even the right way to upgrade?

	I've read through most of the Handbook and FAQ and just didn't
find enough information in them.  Any answers or pointers to WWW pages,
FAQS, or man pages would be much appreciated.

			TIA,
				mike...

Micro$oft, what do you want to spend today?

	PS. I posted this already, but I think I sent it to the wrong list