Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 2021 11:31:36 -0700
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCIe sound card for FreeBSD 12.2 RELEASE amd64

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 10:43:55PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>> freebsd-questions;
>>
>> I am looking for a PCIe sound card supported by FreeBSD 12.2
>> RELEASE amd64:
>>
>> 1.  7.1 surround sound output via four analog 1/8" TRS jacks.
>>
>> 2.  Includes interchangeable standard and low-profile mounting
>> brackets.
>>
>> 3.  Currently manufactured and supported.
>>

>> Recommendations?
>>

>> David
>>

>> p.s. The "FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE Hardware Notes" "Sound Devices"
>> section has a list of device driver names and chip numbers, but I
>> am unable to correlate that information to retail products (e.g.
>> SKU):
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.2R/hardware/

STFW I was able to find some advertisements for inexpensive 5.1 cards
that include a supported chip number:

https://www.amazon.com/Padarsey-Internal-Windows-Profile-Bracket/dp/B07VNL332R

https://www.amazon.com/GODSHARK-Internal-Windows-Profile-Bracket/dp/B07R191M25

https://www.amazon.com/INTEFIRE-Internal-Windows-Profile-Bracket/dp/B07FMMR59D

Thus far, I have not found a 7.1 card.

On 3/29/21 9:15 PM, Doug McIntyre wrote:
> I can't specificly help you, but I recognize one thing in there that
> you'll have to look out for as well.
>
> By low-profile mounting bracket, it sounds like you are looking for a
> card that can go into a server as well. Years back, almost all PCIe
> sound cards I could find were 5V only cards. Almost all servers are
> 3.3V only PCIe buses.

Thank you for the warning.  I will need to pay attention to the card
voltage specifications and to the host voltage specifications.

> Are you sure you can't use a USB connected sound box?

This is for a multi-channel audio digital signal processing project.
USB would add another level of complexity that I would rather avoid.

> That is what I ended up with in the past. It was either that, or to
> use a desktop box.
Some desktop form factors use low profile PCI/PCIe cards and brackets.

David