Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 02:05:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Robert Batten <rbatten@candle.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! My previously docile Freebsd system has gone nuts!

On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Robert Batten wrote:

>      I have had to reinstall Freebsd to my system after some files had
>      become corrupted. When I first installed the 2.1 release to my PC-DOS
>      system I encountered few problems that I could not readily attribute
>      to operator error. The system ran fine for a period of 4 months until
>      I corrupted some files by shutting down the server via tripping on the
>      power cord!

ack :(    fsck couldn't do anything to them?

>      I accepted my fate and was prepared to reinstall from the CD-ROM just
>      like before. I was not pleasantly surprised to discover that the
>      install program, the exact same floppy boot disk that I used
>      previously, failed to want to create a bootable image on my ide hard
>      drive! In fact the exact message is as follows: WARNING! Unable to
>      swap to /dev/wd0s1b: Device not configured. This may cause the
>      installation to fail at some point if you don't have a lot of memory.

If you are going to start all over, then start all the way over and
delete the FreeBSD partition.  sysinstall gets mighty confused if you
have a filesystem already there (unless you tell it NOT to newfs those
partitions which is what you wanted to do.  It's probably too late now,
they're trash)

Moral:  don't install to pre-existing partitions.