Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:02:09 +0200
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fritz!Card v2.0 on ThinkPad390E under 3.3-STABLE

Quoting Udo Schweigert (ust@cert.siemens.de):
> Also: IRQ 5 is often used by Laptops for Audio. Try a different IRQ like 11
> (if not used by other PCMCIA-cards).

This is an important hint for other cases, too.  We got stomped
by an inactive PCI soundcard last weekend using a plain-and-simple
ISA Fritz!Card.  The first problem to solve was ensuring the ISDN
link worked at all (this was a router for a temporary setup just
for the weekend).  When that was clear, the machine still didn't
get at the S0 at all.  It took us quite some time to think of the
soundcard because it wasn't detected on booting and the ISDN was
recognized just fine.  It just simply didn't work with IRQ5.  The
simply solution was to remove the soundcard and everything started
to work as expected.  Now that the machine's back in office I can't
easily try different configurations as the soundcard went elsewhere.
(Besides the setup is fairly strange - the BSD loader doesn't feel
like booting directly from a SCSI drive with an IDE present and it
doesn't load the kernel from the root partition at the end of a
10gig drive either, so I had to resort to using fbsdboot.exe which
requires an a.out kernel. Yuck!)

To make a long story short: There may be IRQ conflicts even when
I4B gets fully initialized.  As a consequence the card was completely
deaf and dumb towards the S0.

Greetings,
				Ripley
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.