Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:56:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Garcia <bear@unix.homeip.net>
To:        Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FW: Re: ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Will Andrews wrote:
>  There's nothing wrong with KDE -- the whole reason I added the
>  CUPS dependency is because KDE has a modular print configuration
>  system which allows a user to pick from a variety of different
>  systems to use to print.  One particular system you can tell it
>  to use is CUPS.  KDE has support for using CUPS, and I figured,
>  since many people use it, why not?  It's not necessary, of
>  course, for KDE to print at all.  But since this is not a KDE
>  problem, I'm not "fixing" it.  You should direct your effort at
>  the maintainers of CUPS/LPRng ports.

Okay, so then KDE doesn't really *need* CUPS then, right?  Would it be too
much of a a  hassle to make any *non-required* dependencies into a option.

For instance, CUPS is added as a dependency if you do a "make
WITH_CUPS=YES" or something like that?  That would just be a quick
Makefile hack, wouldn't it?

I would imagine that KDE installation would be easier if all non-required
dependencies could be optionalized throughout the whole KDE2 ports.  Yeah
-  that would make the Makefiles more complicated, but it can cut down on
unwanted dependencies.

Any ideas on this?  I can try to help.

Joseph Garcia