Date:      Thu, 01 Mar 2001 10:47:30 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Albert Everett <aeverett@webintl.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

> Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 12:33:52 -0600
> From: Albert Everett <aeverett@webintl.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I'm in the habit (following the handbook) of doing things in a slightly
> different order:
>
> make buildworld
> go to single user with "shutdown now"
> make installworld
> mergemaster
> make buildkernel
> make installkernel
> reboot
>
> Should this be a problem? I'd rather do the "make buildkernel" along with
> "make buildworld" from a cron'd script if that's ok, to save me time in
> front of the console in single user mode. From below, it sounds like it
> might be ok.
>
> It depends on whether "make buildkernel" uses installed pieces from "make
> installworld".
>
> Any definitive word here?

The logical order is to buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, and
installworld. I think the handbook needs to be corrected.

This does not mean that the handbook is technically incorrect, but
it's less safe this way.

When you use the "buildkernel" target, you will build the kernel using
the /usr/obj tree and build against the newly built object files. That
is the main reason for the new kernel build procedures. This allows
you to install and boot the new kernel before installing the new
system which makes it much easier to back out if there is a
problem. (Just reboot with the old kernel.)

buildkernel uses only the contents of the object tree and does not use
any of the installed binaries whether installworld has been run or
not.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)