Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:35:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
To:        Nathan Arun <nathan_arun@hotmail.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads in FreeBSD

> I'm currently reading the book "Modern Operating Systems" by Tanenbaum,
> where he says there are 2 kinds of threads. user-level and kernel-level.
> What type of threads is implemented in FreeBSD? user, kernel or both?

FreeBSD-STABLE's threads are currently totally in userland.
FreeBSD-CURRENT's threads will eventually be a sort of a hybrid design,
with kernel support for multiple threads so that different parts of the
kernel, and different userland threads can be run on different processors.
The FreeBSD implementation in -CURRENT is similar to the Scheduler
Activation method. The thread scheduler is in userland with an upcall into
the kernel that can cause threads to be scheduled across multiple
processors. I'm not sure that's quite working yet, but work is progressing
in -CURRENT, and from what I hear, should be ready in time for 5.1-RELEASE

Ken