Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:12:42 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Correct owner/perms for man directories?

Because I kept getting errors about files in the cat[1-9] directories
not being in gzip(1) format I rm(1)'d all the cat* directories in
all the man directories and then ran, as root:

	# catman `manpath`

This gave the warning (but continued running):

	Don't start this program as root, use:
	echo /usr/bin/catman <dir list> | nice -5 su -m man

Killing the original task and restarting as per the message resulted
in "Permission denied" errors when trying to create all the cat
directories.

The owner/perms of all the man directories are:

drwxr-xr-x  17 root  wheel  512 Nov  2 19:10 man

so the user ``man'' can't write to them.

What are the correct owner/perms for the man directories?

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.