Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 2004 14:40:06 -0400
From:      Gabriel O'Brien <go@quay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can somebody explain how the autotools are configured in FreeBSD 4.10?

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can explain to me how to use the autotools (automake,
autoconf, libtool, etc.) in FreeBSD 4.10 because plainly I'm doing something
quite wrong.

I am trying to build turck-mmcache-2.4.6 with PHP 4.3.9 and with this (and other
PHP modules) I am continually getting aclocal and libtool related errors, even
after installing *all* of the various autoconf and automake options.  I see
that they are all getting installed with names like "autoconf259" and so on so
I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that "phpize" can't figure
out what's going on.  I've done quite a few web searches looking for info on
how to do this sort of thing properly but I can't seem to find anything either
on the FreeBSD site or elsewhere.  If anyone can point me in the right
direction that would be great.

Here are some examples of the behavior I'm seeing:

---

sol# ./pear install APC
downloading APC-2.0.4.tgz ...
Starting to download APC-2.0.4.tgz (44,606 bytes)
............done: 44,606 bytes
35 source files, building
running: phpize
aclocal: not found
`phpize' failed

---

sol# which aclocal
aclocal: Command not found.
sol# which aclocal18
/usr/local/bin/aclocal18

---

I've tried creating a soft link to the various utilities involved but this just
results in unresolved m4 macros so I don't think this is a proper solution,
even if I could get it working.

Any help would be apreciated!

-Gabe

--