Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 02:24:58 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Shutting down system

On Monday 16 February 2004 10:33 pm, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Andrew L. Gould wrote:
> >On Monday 16 February 2004 06:44 pm, Gerard Seibert wrote:
> >>I have version 5.2 RC#1 installed.
> >>
> >>I have not been able to get the shutdown command to power down my
> >> computer. I used the following command:
> >>
> >>shutdown -p now
> >>
> >>It simple gets to a point where it says press any key to restart. I never
> >>had any problem doing a power off shutdown using Windows XP. Can any one
> >>give me any assistance?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Gerard E. Seibert
> >>gerard-seibert@rcn.com
> >
> >Did you enable apm in /etc/rc.conf?
> >
> >What do you get when you execute the following?
> >
> >apm -s
> >
> >If you get a 0 (zero), then I don't think apm is enabled at bootup.  See
> > if this works:
> >
> >apm -e 1
> >shutdown -p now
> >
> >If it worked, then apm is functioning; but you need to enable it prior to
> >shutdown.
> >
> >Best of luck,
> >
> >Andrew Gould
>
> Just curious ... 5.X uses ACPI, not APM, right?
>
> So does your advice still hold true?
>
> "$apm -s" returns 0 on my system, but
> shutdown -p works like a charm....
>
> Should we perhaps also check whether
> or not "kldstat" returns "acpi.ko" ??
>
> Kevin Kinsey

oops -- my brain completely glossed over the version number.  You're correct
that 5* uses ACPI by default; but if ACPI doesn't work on a specific
computer, I think the kernel can be reconfigured to use APM.

If ACPI is working for you, that's great!  I recall many had problems with it
in FreeBSD 5.1.  Have the problems been ironed out in 5.2?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould