Date:      Tue, 25 Dec 2012 11:48:02 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why chrome and firefox can't connect to almost any SOCKS4 proxy?

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:
> I tried many SOCKS4 proxies from
> http://sockslist.net/proxy/server-socks-hide-ip-address and mostly I am
> getting this error:
> Error 120 (net::ERR_SOCKS_CONNECTION_FAILED): Unknown error.
> Only one of them succeeded.
> SOCKS5 however works ok.
>
> On firefox I am getting similar symptoms, it can't connect to most SOCKS4
> proxies and can connect to SOCKS5.
>
> What might be a problem? I was thinking that maybe some system or port
> library has some issue related to SOCKS4? Maybe libssl.so ?

    Try trussing/ktrace'ing the process to see if you can get a bit
more diagnostic information. If that doesn't yield anything helpful,
you might want to consider possibly going to the forums to ask this
question because this seems like something that is application
specific that wouldn't necessarily be well tied to -net@.
HTH,
-Garrett