Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 11:16:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid  Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vnodes and BSD coding standards?

> Hello,
>
> As one who really wishes to learn the art of kernel development/modifications,
> I've been diving into my FreeBSD /usr/src/sys sources, and have purchased
> the books "The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD Unix Operating System",
> and of course the Bach book.

	I would also recommend getting "The Magic Garden explained"
	book - it's mostly on SVR4, , very nice one, and there's
	other book on modern Unices ... can't reacll the name ...
	it has cactuses on the cover :) . It covers all the aspects
	( rather shortly) comparing different flavors (BSD Reno,BSD4.4,
	SVR4,OSF/1 and Mach).

> So far, so good - it's deeply enjoyable being able to understand Unix at
> such atomic levels.  Currently am learning about "trap.c", and have started
> with hard/softclock() calls, following along in the 4.3 UNIX book.
>
> The books I own do not mention the concept of 'vnodes', and it is clear
> this is an important topic in the newer Kernels.  Can anyone refer me to
> a book which does, or can explain them to me?  From what I've gathered,
> it appears 'vnode' is an abstraction to an inode, mounted file system,
> socket, pipe, etc, which is currently 'active'.

	Visit or call your local Barnes & Noble - the McKusick's
	book on 4.4 BSD shoud appear there soon. The title will be
	identical to the previous book by him and Leffler on 4.3
	BSD.

	Aslo , when and if you dive into IP source code , get yourself
	volume 2 of Stevens' "tcp/ip illustrated" - it has full sources
	along with detailed explanations

> Secondly, the BSD kernel's C coding standard is a little different than
> what I'm used to - are there any documents detailing the standards used
> in the kernel, such as Indian hill, k&r, etc?
>
> Finally, are there other documents/books on the bsd kernel besides the
> book I've purchased.  There's a pretty steep up-front learning curve and
> the more reference material I have, the better.

	Try also Dr.Jobbs magazine .. don;t remember the year , but there
	used to be a series of articles about porting BSD to Intel arch.
	It probably was 5-8 years ago ... should stop myself at NYC
	pulic library to take a look at that :)

	Rashid