Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 2004 14:33:28 -0600
From:      "Timms, Simon" <STimms@petro-canada.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Odin Eklund \(odineklund@hotmail.com\)" <odineklund@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Installworld errors with mtree

Hi,
I was just helping a friend through an install world and, as seems to be the
way with his computer, we ran into problems.  We were updating an early 5
series (possibly 5.0 release) to 5.2_1.  We went through all the steps as
outlined in UPDATING and everything seemed to be working fine right up to
the install world.  The first time through we ran into some problems with
gencat which we fixed by copying the gencat binary from the obj directory.

Now we have run into a core dump with mtree.  I have googled and come up
with a reference to PR i386/30276 but this seems to be largely related to
building across systems or at least changing the CPUTYPE during the build
process.  These errors are also quite old (April/May 2002) so it leads me to
believe that there is something else up.  Does anybody have ideas related to
this?  We would certainly appreciate any help you might offer.

Limited output:
mtree -deU -f /usr/src/etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /
pid 41399 (mtree), uid 0: exited on signal 12 (core dumped)

Thanks,
Simon

                         ********************

This email communication is intended as a private communication for the sole
use of the primary addressee and those individuals listed for copies in the
original message. The information contained in this email is private and
confidential and If you are not an intended recipient you are hereby
notified that copying, forwarding or other dissemination or distribution of
this communication by any means is prohibited.  If you are not specifically
authorized to receive this email and if you believe that you received it in
error please notify the original sender immediately.  We honour similar
requests relating to the privacy of email communications.

Cette communication par courrier electronique est une communication privee a
l'usage exclusif du destinataire principal ainsi que des personnes dont les
noms figurent en copie.  Les renseignements contenus dans ce courriel sont
confidentiels et si vous n'etes pas le destinataire prevu, vous etes avise,
par les presentes que toute reproduction, transfert ou autre forme de
diffusion de cette communication par quelque moyen que ce soit est
interdite.  Si vous n'etes pas specifiquement autorise a recevoir ce
courriel ou si vous croyez l'avoir recu par erreur, veuillez en aviser
l'expediteur original immediatement.  Nous respectons les demandes
similaires qui touchent la confidentialite des communications par courrier
electronique.