Date:      Fri, 05 Sep 2008 08:22:51 +0200
From:      Bartosz Stec <admin@kkip.pl>
To:        Chih Liang <chih.liang@ipeen.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot failed after make installkernel from 6.3-RELEASE to	7.0-RELEASE

Chih Liang pisze:
> Miroslav Lachman wrote:
>>
>> What is your hardware setup? (post dmesg)
>>
>> I have bad experience with some old PC with nForce 2 chipset. This
>> machine is unbootable with 7.x kernel, so I am using it with 6.3. (it
>> can't boot even from 7.x CD)
>>
>> Miroslav Lachman
>>

> I've tried to boot with 7.0 CD, it hung again...then I reboot with
> ACPI disabled, it could be boot but said can't find the disk. So I
> think this PC maybe with too old chipset.
> Anyway, thanks a lot.

Well, it's VIA chipset you have, not nForce2 - <VIA 82C8363 (Apollo
KT133x/KM133) host to PCI bridge>. And it's not too old to run 7.0 as
far as I know. It's strange that kernel has some problem with your
hardware. Maybe you have buggy BIOS? Try to update to newest one and/or
at least load BIOS safe-defaults. Then you should try to boot with and
without ACPI enabled. Adding the following line to /boot/device.hints:

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

may help if your system won't boot with ACPI enabled.

Don't give up yet! :)

--
Bartosz Stec - specjalista ds. IT

AUXILIA Spółka z o.o.