Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 19:43:07 -0600
From:      "Scot W. Hetzel" <pm-modems@westbend.net>
To:        "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Ports questions

From: "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
> Could someone answer some basic questions for me?
>
> 1. How smart is ports?  If I want to delete a port/pkg that another
port/pkg
> depends on, will the ports system warn me before doing so?  Will the Ports

Yes, pkg_delete will warn you that another port/pkg depends on the software
you are trying to delete.

> system delete all the dependancy applications that were installed to
support
> an application that was installed?  If so, will it warn me if any of those
> dependancy apps have other apps that depend on them?

pkg_delete will only delete the application that was specified, it will not
delete the dependancies.

> 2.  I would like to install Apache with PHP, Jserv, mod_Perl, SSL, and
> FrontPage extensions.  Is there such a thing?  How would I go about
creating
> this?  Would I simply 'make package' with the various Apache+ ports, then
> compile Apache?

Currently there is no port in the ports collection that covers all of these
modules.

I am working on a way to add individual modules to apache installation.  It
is currently available from:

http://www.westbend.net/~hetzels/mod_apache13.tgz

This file contains:

apache13-base    -    Allows you to select individual Apache modules to
build
apache13            -    Main Apache Server (required by all modules)
mod_ssl
mod_frontpage
mod_php3
mod_php4
mod_jserv

To use this collection go into the apache13-base port and run make.  You
will be given a choice of modules to build in addition to building the main
Apache server.

NOTE: make certificate in the mod_ssl port currently is not functional.

Let me know how these work for you.

Thanks,

Scot W. Hetzel