Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 1999 20:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Jun Kuriyama <kuriyama@sky.rim.or.jp>
Cc:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: First draft of pccardc.8

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Jun Kuriyama wrote:

> Jun Kuriyama wrote:
> > Can someone review this?

It will be nice to have a pccardc man page.

I would like to know more about each of the options--a little more on
what the purpose of each is, and under what circumstances it would be
used.

I wrote a "howto" on the process of getting pccards working, in
which using the output of pccardc dumpcis to construct a pccard
entry or definition for pccard.conf was explained.  It really isn't
explained in this draft of the man page, but perhaps it should be.

The ppp man page is now not only documentation about the software,
but a "howto" on getting it to work.  Maybe this man page or a more
general one on pccards ought to cover the "how to" aspects of this
as well as the technical aspects.

Now I am curious about pccardc enabler and when it might be necessary
to use it.  I'm not sure exactly how it interacts with pccard.conf,
or whether if a card were removed and reinserted and pccard.conf got
reread, whether that would overwrite anything put in with pccardc
enabler.  There seems to be no place in enabler to enter an ether
offset for a network card; is that right?

I was quite surprised to discover that apparently I can actually
write to a card's memory using some pccardc commands.  When would I
want to do that?  Would this change be permanent?  Is it possible I
could get some cards to work that way that won't work otherwise?

Very interesting.  Thanks--

	Annelise