Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:13:32 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp keepalive logic

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Charles Mott wrote:

> I was thinking it would be a good idea to only run keepalive logic on
> incoming packets and not outgoing packets in user ppp.

[snip]

> If the keepalive only worked on incoming packets, it would handle the
> error condition where packets go out but never come back.
>
> I am going to do this for my own purposes, but I wondered whether people
> felt it might be a good idea for the freebsd distribution.

Sounds very reasonable.  Have you had a look at kernel pppd/if_ppp?  I'd
really like to get idle-timeout going there.  Some of the code is there,
wrapped around #if _linux_ in pppd, but availabe in sys/net/if_ppp.c.  It
looks like someone implemented the last-packet deltas in the kernel, but
did not finish making it work in the daemon.  Does anyone have any ideas
here?

Danny