Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 1997 00:34:45 +0000
From:      "Troy Settle" <rewt@i-Plus.net>
To:        smilepak@vividnet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question.

> Hi..
> 	I currently have Windows 95 and Linux install on a dual HD system.
> Pentium 166 with a Pioneer 4x CD-ROM and a Diamond Stealth 3D 3000 with
> 4mb VRAM. I wanted to ask, if i wanted to remove Linux and Install
> freeBSD on my second HD, without losing data on my Primary Drive
> (C:Win95) how would i go about doing this? I have a 850HD as a Slave
> with Linux Installed. And I wanted to try freeBSD since my ISP using
> freeBSD. Is there a way in uninstalling linux and installing freeBSD
> safly?

Once you've decided on an install method (CD/DOS/FTP/etc), boot to
linux, write the boot floppy with dd, reboot, and install.  when
you're at the fdisk portion, delete your linux parts, and create a
FreeBSD partitition and go on with the install.  Be warned however,
that you will have to at least touch your first drive with fdisk so
the install process will slap a boot loader on the mbr for you.  When
you reboot, you'll be given a menu to boot DOS or from 2nd HD...
choose the 2nd HD, and then FreeBSD.  It's that easy...

> 	My second question is, which is better? Linux or freeBSD and are they
> differ? Thanks.

Somethings different, somethings not.  as for who's better, it's a
matter of personal opinions and the data you look at.  From my
experience, FreeBSD is much better at networking and handling high
loads.  Linux is better when it comes to running X.

Have fun,

--
Troy Settle <st@i-Plus.net>
Network Administrator, iPlus Internet Services

( Stuff I said does not reflect the company I work  )
( for unless I'm speaking on behalf of said company )