Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu (Brett Taylor)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: from 2.2.8 to 3.2 with the 4CD set...

According to Brett Taylor:
> Hi Gary,
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> > 	My 4CD set from Walnut Creek was in the mail the other
> > 	day. I'm first going to install it on my experimental
> > 	platform...but I'd like to hear of any caveats from brave
> > 	souls who have already done this: upgraded from 2.X to 3.X
> > 	with the CD's.
>
> > 	What gotcha is most likely to snag? --aside from sending
> > 	countless hours hand-upgrading /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Mergemaster is your friend.  :-)  (/usr/ports/sysutils/mergemaster)
>
> I've done the upgrade, by a "make upgrade" and a reinstall - neither of
> those went badly.

	Gee, that's a backhanded compliment if I ever heard one!
	It's like: ``Well, eating glass really isn't *that* bad.''

> Actually the 2nd make upgrade I tried barfed, but since
> I'd backed up /usr/home I just reinstalled and then un-tarballed /home.
>
> Just back up everything you might need and then try it - chances are it
> will go great.  :-)

	Well, after all the feedback and notes---thanks, people---I
	feel a little better around the coming adventure.  That may
	change if I'm here at 04:30, swilling down my 17th cup of
	stale coffee and ready to nuke these boxes...  But hopefully
	not.

	Thanks, Brett.

	gary