Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:01:56 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   Re: x11/xorg update.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 09:44:23 -0700
Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org> wrote:

> 	Ah, this is the new scriptthat creates xorg.conf, correct?

Hi Gary,

man script
(not related with X)

AFAIK, xorgcfg has been around since Xorg has existed. and before that, xfree86cfg (which has existed since 1995 at least). btw, if you replace 'cfg' with 'conf' you get a text-based version of the same tool, in case the autodetect doesnt work.

> 	A bit easier than typing X -configure and messing with the
> 	/root files.  What I don't understand is all the output about
> 	missing modules to stderr.  ...but .... ... .

It would do it if you start X by hand (as opposed to start it via /etc/ttys with XDM or via gdm/kdm)...it would put all the info in /var/log/Xorg.0.log too.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...
 It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
  Albert Einstein