Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 02:28:26 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Mike writes:

> The difference between us is that I lay the
> blame on MS, not the vendors of the junk.

There is nothing unique about Microsoft that would make it more responsible than
any other vendor.  The phenomenon of poor software predates MS, and has always
been a problem on the PC platform.

> That's because MS was providing an OS that
> dealt with misbehaving applications by
> crashing.

All early PC operating systems dealt with misbehaving applications that way.
The machine was essentially given over to the currently running program, and so
it was very easy for an application to crash the system.  There was no choice
about this on early Intel processors.

> If they had instead provided an OS that caught
> such things and terminated them with the prejudice
> they deservied, people wouldn't accept the trash
> they do on their desktop.

Early PC hardware did not permit this.  Any code with control of the processor
had control of the system.

> MS's monopoly practices basically mean I can't
> buy mass market computers without MS pocketing
> money on the deal.

A lot of people pocket money on every PC purchased, not just Microsoft.  The
only difference is that you resent Microsoft more than the others.

> I'd rather be able to walk in and say "Give me
> this one, hold the OS". MS's monopoly practices have
> made that impossible.

I've never cared.  I can remove the preinstalled OS and install whatever I want.
In fact, that's what I routinely do when purchasing a new PC--I never run the
preinstalled stuff.

> Also, should someone want an MS OS from that
> vendor - which they did sell - the vendor would
> have to charge them more than they would have
> if they weren't willing to sell me a box with
> Unix on it.

That's because Microsoft software is not free (usually).

> If you think I'm a young male, you haven't been
> paying attention.

It's a function of psychology, not chronological age (or, sometimes, even
gender).

> That's not my experience with MS and Adobe.

It is my experience.

> Admittedly, I haven't dealt with Adobe's Windows
> products ...

I use a half-dozen of them.

> ... and I've avoided MS's since the CP/M days because
> of the shoddiness of the products they were providing
> at that time.

I use MS products every day.

Hmm.

> You're asserting that people were using a product
> to do a job ...

That's why most people bought PCs.

> ... which on the face of it means that the product
> is good enough to do the job.

Obviously.

> You then turn around and say the product wasn't
> good enough to do the job, which means they couldn't
> have been using it to do the job.

Where did I say that?

The product wasn't good enough to satisfy them, but it was good enough to do the
job, and there was no alternative.  So they used it, got the job done, and when
something better came along, they upgraded to that.

> You can't have it both ways.

See above.