Date:      Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:53:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk Kleinhesselink <dkleinh@phy.ucsf.EDU>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with Qlogic SCSI combo card

I have an AlphaPC164 system that I've been trying to run FreeBSD 4.0
release candidate on.  My system originally had a Tekram DC-390F UW SCSI
controller, a DEC 500 10/100 Ethernet card, a SB-16 ISA card and a ELSA
Gloria Synergy video card.  Because of bugs in the FreeBSD symbios
controller that are in the release candidate CD, but have been fixed --
I've been told + the fact that OpenVMS won't run with the Tekram card, I
found an unused DEC SCSI/Ethernet combo card and added this to the machine
and moved my SCSI CD and disk to this card.  The card has 2 Qlogic 1020
chips on it and 2 internal 68 pin connectors.  It also has a 10MB ethernet
port and was, I think, in an AlphaStation 600 5/266 box.  The SRM console
sees these controllers and attached devices.  Tru64 5.0 UNIX, OpenVMS and
NetBSD/alpha 1.4.1 will install and run with this card.  I have the disk
on one channel and the CD-ROM on another channel.  Linux, which was
already installed on an IDE disk also sees the controllers and devices and
I've used the SCSI cdrom from Linux on this controller -- made my
NetBSD/alpha boot floppy that way.

FreeBSD 4.0 release candidate crashes almost immediately with a UNEXPECTED
MACHINE CHECK error and panic when I try to boot from this card and it
then reboots to the same point over and over.  The machine check seems to
occur as the kernel is booting right after it identifies the second
channel -- I can see that isp0 is a Qlogic 1020/1040 at IRQ 7 and that
isp1 is at IRQ 11 and then I get the machine check and panic.

I do still have the Tekram controller (with no devices) and the DEC 500
10/100 ethernet card still in, but this does not bother Linux, Tru64,
OpenVMS and NetBSD.

Anyone know why this is happening ?  It also happened when I had
FreeBSD/alpha 3.3 on the system.

Dirk