Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:18:23 +0100
From:      Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>
To:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        kris@obsecurity.org
Subject:   Re: Ebay Phishing

--Signature=_Mon__21_Mar_2005_11_18_23_+0100_Zg168VLnyFMUog+6

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 14:29:46 +1030
Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Indeed.  I do, and it blocks an amazing amount of spam.

That's the wrong way to deal with spam, Greg. Greylisting and SPF
checks are a much better solution.
=20
> I do have the courtesy to say "please use your ISP's mail server" in
> the error reply.

Well, as pointed out before, that's not always possible. My ISP doesn't
allow any mail with a from !=3D terra.es to pass through their mail
servers. Not only that, but they will silently drop e-mail without
telling you. Their POP3 server is also broken half of the time, that's
why I gave up on using their mail (and dns as well) service years ago.
Modulo that, the service is good enough and I've had less than a few
hours of outage in 5 years, so I don't have any plans of moving to
another ISP.

When people reject my mail (which comes from a static IP, gpg-signed
and from a host that publishes SPF records) I simply add them to my /
etc/postfix/access file, so I don't waste time reading and replying to
mail that won't reach its destinantion. It's that simple :)

I've tried several setups to stop spam. I get about 150/day or so. I
discovered that 99% of them were coming from Windows boxes. So, if you
have PF you can do tricks like this:

rdr on $ext_if proto tcp from any os "Windows" to any port smtp ->
127.0.0.1 port 8025

And have all those mails end up in spamd's tarpit. However, this might
send legit mail there, so I stopped using that too. I just let
spamassassin do its job.

Cheers,
--=20
Miguel Mendez <flynn@energyhq.es.eu.org>