Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 21:20:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Petrou <dpetrou@kinclaith.pdl.cs.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Q: Panic during boot on a new installation

Hi.  I just installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE on a P6 but am having
problems fully booting the machine.  I checked the FAQ and handbook
and couldn't find anything relevant and I'd appreciate any help on
this.

This machine has an IDE drive and a SCSI drive.  I used a boot disk
and a CDROM to put FreeBSD on the SCSI drive.  I put a boot manager on
both drives.

When I boot the machine, I tell the boot manager to go to the SCSI
drive.  Then another boot manager pops up and I tell it to boot
FreeBSD.  (As an aside, is there a way to have only one boot manager?)

Now I hit enter at the boot prompt, causing the system to load the
kernel from 1:sd(1,a).  The kernel starts running, probing devices,
etc.  Everything looks good until it tries to change the root device.
The system then panics with "Can't change root device to sd1a" (or
something of that nature).

A readme file suggested turning off probes for devices at address
0x300.  I tried that, and also tried disabling all probes for hardware
I don't have.  This didn't work.

A friend suggested entering 0:sd(1,a) at the boot prompt which
apparently did the trick when he had similar symptoms under a buggy
BIOS.  This didn't work either.

At this point I figured that perhaps something went wrong during the
installation.  I put the boot disk back in took a look around in the
emergency holographic shell.  However, all the filesystems were
mounted just fine and everything looked good.

Any ideas?  Is there more information I should provide?

Thanks,
David