Date:      Tue, 01 Jul 97 14:43:50
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <francisco@natserv.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Chat List" <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why Not Make tcsh the default shell?

On Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:43:06 -0500 (CDT), Oliver Banta wrote:
>> Why does FreeBSD install csh as the default shell instead of tcsh?
>>
>> Stanford University provides tcsh as the default shell....apparently
>> not being concerned about confusing all the hics from Iowa with
>> its added features.....
>>
>> Annelise
>
>   I don't know if this means anything, but tcsh isn't installed by
>default while csh is.  You have to go through the ports to install tcsh
>and/or bash.

Maybe I am been too technical but I just wanted to point out that
tcsh is in the packages too (as well as BASH and other shells).
I find packages a whole lot easier to deal with than ports. Even
someone not very familiar with FreeBSD can get programs from the
packages.

I would also like to add to what others have said that it is probably
not a good idea to make tcsh the default.
I figure if someone knows enough not to like  the default and know
there is something better, they probably know enough to get whatever
shell they like and get it installed.