Date:      Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:34:34 -0500
From:      halber mensch <shocker@ionet.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: DHCP to ifconfig Options

I have been trying to nogg out the answer as well for about the past
year. I finally sat down today, resolved to fix the problem. I started
off figuring how to change the mediaopt through ifconfig.. the sytax
being:

ifconfig [identifier] media [your media (100baseTX e.g.)]  mediaopt
[option]

[option] should be either full-duplex or half-duplex. This is good
because by the report of DHCLIENT, you'd think you specify the media in
a form like 100baseTX <full-duplex>. And if you've ever tried that, you
know as well as I do that dhclient just looks at you funny and walks
off.

so now the only thing left to do was automate it. I can't really justify
logging in to correct my media type every
time the system reboots....

I tried editing rc.conf...

ifconfig_xl0 ="DHCP"

.. and since another ifconfig to the device can be issued...

ifconfig_xl0 = "media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex"

well... it went full-duplex, but the second ifconfig line (for some odd
reason I haven't yet fingered out) knocks out the DHCP info obtained by
dhclient. poop. back to square one.. read rc.network for the umpteenth
time.

then I found this  in rc.network...

for ifn in ${network_interfaces}; do
            showstat=false
            if [ -e /etc/start_if.${ifn} ]; then
                    . /etc/start_if.${ifn}
                    showstat=true

Eureeka! This is it! This little line of script, for those that can't
yet read it, means that rc.network looks for a file named like
"start_if.xl0" in the case of my nic. Make a file in /etc named similar,
only substitute your interface identifier.

Inside it, place the ifconfig line you need to use to set your media. In
my case:

ifconfig xl0 media 10baseT/UTP mediaopt full-duplex

was all I had to enter in that line. In rc.conf, leave only the ifconfig
line specifying DHCP setup. The system will first execute  the
start_if.XX# to set the media, then launch dhclient to nab your lease.
Be sure to remove any media options from dhclient.conf.

mach's gut,

reid