Date:      Sat, 16 Jan 1999 17:47:10 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@pagesz.net>
To:        Duane Gustavus <duane@denton.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv

Anybody else have a Bt878-based card or Hauppauge model 404 that could lend
some advise here?

Duane Gustavus:
 |> Hmmm.  Don't you have something in your dmesg output that looks like this:
 |>
 |>     bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
 |>     Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.
 |>
 |I feel pretty stupid about the tuner:
 |
 |bktr0: <BrookTree 878> rev 0x02 int a irq 9 on pci0.6.0
 |Hauppauge WinCast/TV, <none> tuner.
 |
 |I purchased the Hauppage Win/TV model 404 because I thought that was what
 |was being used by others.  Now I see that it uses a different chip (878)
 |and has no tuner (that is not a big deal to me since I don't have a cable
 |connection anyway).  Could the problem be related to the 878 chip instead
 |of using an 848?  If so, can you tell me which model of the Hauppage board
 |you are using?  The functionality I need is to be able to grab frames and
 |video by program control, not tune a tv.

I'm using the original Wincast/TVdbx.  Don't recall what model they were
calling it, but it's a bt848-based card:

    bktr0: <BrookTree 848> rev 0x11 int a irq 9 on pci0.11.0
    Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner, dbx stereo.

Are you sure yours doesn't have a tuner (maybe the driver just isn't
detecting it)?  It may not; I don't know anything about the newer
Hauppauges.

Randall