Date:      Fri, 13 Feb 1998 18:26:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, grog@lemis.com, koshy@india.hp.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: General policy on trademark violations

As Warner Losh wrote...
> In message <199802122303.PAA04588@dingo.cdrom.com> Mike Smith writes:
> :   Are you willing to fund the FreeBSD Project's defence against a
> :   trademark litigation case pursued by Hasbro?
>
> Hasbro is notorious for fighting tooth and nail for their trademarks,
> even when they don't have much of a case.  Witness all the money that
> Clue Computing has spent on legal defence of clue.com.  Unless there
> is someone that wants to step in and fund the legal defence of the

> FreeBSD stuff, I hate to say it, but killing stuff from the tree is
> cheaper and easier.

<RAMBLE>

 *very deep sigh* I have no problems with people defending their rights,
 but the (I'm sorry to say it) American tradition of 'CU in court'
 over nitpicking stuff is hilarious at best and frustrating at worst.

 My problem with it is, as Warner already indicates, that the party
 with the best lawyer (read: most $$ to burn) will in all likelihood
 win the case. For a start, the party who is less equipped with $$
 will probably settle without even trying to win in court. The issue
 who is right or wrong is irrelevant.

 What will FreeBSD Inc do if say a big company near Seattle sues
 FreeBSD Inc for something? Theoretical maybe (probably ;-) but
 the case is clear: no way the 'Chuck defense team' would ever win.
 No $$ to burn.

</RAMBLE>

> Warner

Wilko