Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Frank Tobin <ftobin@uiuc.edu>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Disabling FTP (was Re: Why not sandbox BIND?)

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> Frank Tobin wrote:
> > > Good for them, but it's not the newbies we primarily target methinks.
> >
> > FreeBSD doesn't attempt to target newbies, but why make it difficult for
> > them to get a functional box?
>
> Because I'd value security more than newbee friendlyness.

If you're not a newbie, you're not going to do a standard install anyway.
We could argue over whether or not the majority of people are going to
turn telnet on or off (I'd argue on), but we're not arguing over security,
we're arguing over typing a few keys on the keyboard.  The only place the
default really matters is people who are newbies and don't know any
better.