Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 22:25:11 -0700
From:      Frank Yang <fyang@leland.Stanford.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Intel EtherExpress 16 driver instability?

Hi,

Before I upgraded my computer from 486 to Pentium MMX, my EtherExpress
16 network card  worked fine with FreeBSD. On the Pentium machine, I
kept getting unpredictable timeouts on remote connections. After awhile
(when there are too many timeouts...I think), the connection would
be terminated and the card would function no longer. If I tried to
ping a remote machine after I lost a connection, I would get a message
saying no (send) buffers available.

I could re-establish the network if I do ifconfig "down" and then "up".

Is this a knwon problem because the release notes mentioned that
the network card is not recommended due to driver instability?

Is there anything I could do to fix the problem?

P.S. The last version I had on my 486 was 2.2.1-GAMMA. But I'm using
2.2.1-RELEASE version on my Pentium machine.

Thanks,

Frank Yang